Flamiche with Leeks and Brie Recipe
Tools: a 23cm fluted loose-bottomed tart tin
250 grams plain flour
pinch of salt
125 grams unsalted butter, very cold, diced
2 medium egg yolks
50 ml water
1 medium egg + a splash of milk for egg-wash
25 grams unsalted butter
400 grams leeks, washed and sliced
4 medium egg yolks
300 ml double cream
pinch of nutmeg
sea salt and ground pepper, to taste
150 grams brie (or other well-flavoured cheese)
1. Make the pastry.
To make the pastry by hand: mix the flour and salt in a bowl and rub the (cold) butter into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the egg-yolk and, while mixing with your hands or fork, add the water until the mixture comes together into a dough.
To make the pastry in a food processor: add the flour, salt and butter to the bowl of the food processor and whizz until the mixture looks like fine breadcrums. Add the egg yolk, and while the machine is running slowly add the water until the mixture comes together into a dough.
Shape the dough into a ball, making sure not to overwork the dough. Flatten the ball into a disc shape, wrap in cling film and chill for at least 2 hours.
2. Grease and flour the tart tin. Preheat the oven to 200C/390F.
3. Once chilled, roll the pastry out onto a lightly floured working surface into a large round. Line the tin with the pastry, but don’t cut away the excess pastry. Prick the pastry base all over with a fork, line the base with baking parchment and fill with baking beans/rice/dry beans. Blind bake the base in the oven for 10-12 minutes, then lift the baking parchment and baking beans out of the case, brush the base with the egg-wash and return to the oven for another 5-8 minutes. Leave to cool on a wire rack. Lower the temperature to 180C/360F.
4. Make the filling. Heat the butter in a large frying pan, add the leeks and sauté for 8-10 minutes. Take off the heat. Mix the egg yolks, nutmeg, cream, pepper and salt in a bowl. Slice the brie thinly.
5. Spoon the leeks over the cooled pastry case, then pour the egg mixture over the leeks. Place the slices of brie on top.
6. Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes or until a good golden brown on top and set in the centre. You can eat the flamiche warm or cool!