A Merry Christmas to you all! If you have loads of nuts and dried fruits left from making your fruit cakes and Christmas puddings, use them to make these mini stollen! I say mini, they’re not thát small actually but perfect to serve for Christmas breakfast. I like cutting them into smaller slices and slathering them with soft, real butter – ultimate decadence <3
I’ve used up whatever I could find in my cupboard as filling in these stollen but feel free to make you own, unique filling with dried fruits, nuts, or even pearl sugar. Whatever the filling, you must sprinkle on copious amounts of icing sugar!
Mini Christmas Stollen Recipe
Makes 8 small stollen
375 grams strong white bread flour
10 grams instant yeast
50 grams sugar
160 ml lukewarm full-fat milk
1/2 teaspoon speculaas spices or mixed spice
7 grams salt
75 grams soft unsalted butter, diced
75 grams chopped dried apricots
100 grams golden raisins
125 grams currants
50 grams chopped almonds
25 grams chopped hazelnuts
250 grams almond paste
zest of 1/2 orange
16 amarena cherries
1/2 – 1 cup of icing sugar
- Steep the dried fruits in some hot water (optionally with some orange liqueur or rum) for 15 minutes, then leave to dry overnight in a sieve.
- To make the dough, mix all the ingredients EXCEPT for the butter in a large bowl, making sure the yeast and salt aren’t touching each other directly. Knead for about 7 minutes in a free-standing electric mixer. Then add the butter a little bit at a time until all of it has been incorporated. Shape into a ball and leave for 15 minutes. Then knead in filling 1, by hand or with the mixer. Shape into a ball again and leave to proof for 1 hour.
- For filling 2, mix the almond paste with the orange zest. Half the amarena cherries.
- Divide the proofed dough into 8 pieces. Shape each piece into an oval shape with your hands. Divide the almond paste into 8 pieces and roll each piece to the same length as the wide side of the oval. Place it on the dough, then place 4 amarena cherry halves on top. Fold the dough over. Place on a baking sheet lined with baking parchment. Proof for another 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/390F.
- Once proofed, bake the mini stollen for 30-35 minutes. Leave them to cool on a wire rack. Once cooled, cover with plenty of icing sugar. Enjoy with some butter slathered on!